Sunday, February 23, 2014

Ophelia Act 3


1: (3.1.99-112)
In this passage Hamlet had just ended his “To be or not to be” speech and he notices Ophelia.
OPHELIA: Good my lord,
How does your Honor for thin many a day?

HAMLET: I humble thank you, well.

OPHELIA: My lord, I have remembrances of yours
That I have longed long to redeliver. I pray you now receive them.

HAMLET: No, not I. I never gave you aught.

OPHELIA: No honored lord, you know right well you did,
And with them words of so sweet breath composed
As made the things more rich. The perfume
Lost,
Take these again, for to the noble mind
Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind.
There, my lord.

Analysis: In this passage Ophelia has just run into Hamlet and seems almost uncomfortable. She to just trying to be polite and make conversation with Hamlet. She just seems unsure about their relationship and how to act around him. At this point Ophelia has transformed into a nervous and sure person. At this point the way that Shakespeare is developing Ophelia's character is unsure about Hamlet and her feelings for him.  

2: (3.1.154-175)
This passage occurs at the end of Ophelia and Hamlets first conversation, and Hamlet says, 
OPHELIA: O, what a noble mind is here o’erthrown!
The courtier’s, soldier’s, scholar’s, eye, tongue, sword,
Th’ expectancy and rose of the fair state,
The glass of fashion and the mold of form,
Th’ observed of all observers, quite, quite down!
And I, of ladies most deject and wretched,
That sucked the honey of his musicked vows,
Now see that noble and most sovereign reason,
Like sweet bells jangled, out of the time and harsh;
That unmatched form and stature of blown youth
Blasted with ecstasy. O, woe is me
T’ have seen what I have seen, see what I see!

Analysis: In this passage, Hamlet says to Ophelia that she gives into her temptations too easily and that she is ignorant about men. His solution is that she should be sent to a nunnery where she would be free from all temptations then he leaves her alone. When she is left alone is when she opens up and shows her anger and sadness. Here we get to see Ophelia's character development in a different way now that she is alone, and Shakespeare shows us her true emotions. 

3: (3.2.119-128)
This occurs between Hamlet and Ophelia but the King, the Queen, Polonius, Rosencrantz, Guildenstern, and other lords attendants. 
HAMLET: Lady, shall I lie in your lap?

OPHELIA: No, my lord.

HAMLET: I mean, my head upon your lap?

OPHELIA: Ay, my lord.

HAMLET: Do you think I meant country matters?

OPHELIA: I think nothing, my lord.

HAMLET: That’s a fair thought to lie between maids’
Legs.

OPHELIA: What is, my lord?

HAMLET: Nothing.

Analysis: This is another strange moment between Ophelia and Hamlet, where Ophelia is still unsure about their relationship. Ophelia is restrained from being herself and seems uncomfortable in the situation. Ophelia has begun to act more natural however her character has not developed much past, being unsure about Hamlet and her feelings for him.  


4: (3.2.157-169)
This passage occurs right after the play has begun and Hamlet and Ophelia are talking to each other and  say, 
OPHELIA: What means this, my lord?

HAMLET: Marry, this is miching mallecho. It means
mischief.

OPHELIA: Belike this show imports the argument of the
Play.

HAMLET: We shall know by this fellow. The players
Cannot keep counsel; they’ll tell all.

OPHELIA: Will he tell us what this show meant?

HAMLET: Ay, or any show that you will show him. Be
Not you ashamed to show, he’ll not shame to tell you
What it means.

OPHELIA: You are naught, you are naught. I’ll mark the
Play.

Analysis: In this passage with Ophelia and Hamlet Ophelia seems much less restrained. She feels comfortable with asking him questions and initiating a conversation. She doesn’t seem as held back and nervous. Here is where we see Ophelia's character develop the most. She appears to be more confident as her interactions with Hamlet become more common.


I think that Scarlett Johansson would be a good character to play Ophelia because she has played lovestruck characters. Scarlett Johansson is how I have pictured Ophelia to look like because of the descriptions that Shakespeare has given. 

No comments:

Post a Comment